- Create the Gen 1 machine with less than 512MiB Ram (above requires you to put MaxFileCache=524288 and MaxPhysPage=40000 in the system.ini later).
- Add either a virtual or physical IDE drive (physical requires you to go to Disk Management and right-click on the drive and click offline to be detected and doesn't need to be IDE itself).
- Add a CD ROM drive from your bootable Windows 98SE iso image.
- Boot it, you might either install right away or run a prompt entering setup /is to skip disk check.
- Your keyboard should work as long as you don't click inside the window when the setup starts, else your keyboard and mouse get mounted and unusable, so only click the hyper-v title bar, or you might think the window froze which it did not.
- You can go trough the whole progress with only your keyboard and without mouse, or you can close and start over from step 4.
- When the installation is done you can reboot.
- You will be greeted with the fresh new message:
- So how do you get past this error?
The funny part is that it doesn't happen at the setup, only at start-up (finishing the installation).
I just wanted to share this, because I've not seen anybody else post about it.