I know that the Commodore 1571 drive works perfectly well with a C64, since the 1571 will detect it is connected to a C64, and will enter 1541 emulation mode. After which, the 1571 just behaves as a 1541.
BUT, the 1571 is a much more capable drive. Enhanced capabilities beyond the 1541 that I'm aware of include:
- Double-sided disk support, doubling the drive's capacity.
- Can reliably access tracks 36-40, for even greater capacity.
- MFM support, so compatible with CP/M and MS-DOS floppies.
- High-speed serial ("Burst") mode for faster file access.
- Improved CBM-DOS 3.0 in the ROM.
Is it possible to use the 1571 with the C64 in a manner that can utilize these enhanced capabilities?
NOTE: I'm especially interested in software hacks that can make 1571 capabilities accessible. I know there is little support in the C64 firmware for the 1571 since it pre-dates that drive by many years.