I was working for a Hungarian magazine in the early 90s which had the most curious device: a laser printer which had a pass-through scanner on top, i.e. you laid down a page and it dragged it under a fixed head and that's how it scanned (see today's mobile scanners Fujitsu ScanSnap iX100 or the Epson DS-70 for examples, it basically had one of these bolted on top). It was a desktop model about the same with as an A4 sheet but very long. Does anyone have any idea what this could've been?

  • 1
    What is it exactly you're asking for?
    – Raffzahn
    Nov 26, 2020 at 19:09
  • @Raffzahn I think this is a hardware identification question: “what is the name of this printer?” or similar. Though it might just be “describe the technology”.
    – wizzwizz4
    Nov 26, 2020 at 23:11
  • @wizzwizz4 exactly what I was wondering about. I started to write an answer about scan lines when realising that it not really irs, so I have absolutely no idea what he likes to know.
    – Raffzahn
    Nov 26, 2020 at 23:18
  • 1
    ... the most curious device: ... a pass through scanner on top ie you laid down a page and it dragged it under a fixed head and that's how it scanned" -- Doesn't sound "curious" at all. That's how the typical low-cost scanner with a sheet feeder works. The Brother MFCs that I have owned had/have a flat-bed scanner (and of course the head was motorized) as well as a document/sheet feeder. So there was a short, wide window at the end of the scanner bed, under the feeder. Such a scanner can also handle various paper sizes (i.e. lengths).
    – sawdust
    Nov 27, 2020 at 8:13
  • 1
    I do not think this was so common 1993-ish and the device was likely even older.
    – chx
    Nov 27, 2020 at 22:52


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.