During a recent move I lost the monitor for my Amstrad CPC464.

Is it possible to adapt the output of this to work on a modern monitor or on television set?

1 Answer 1


Yes, it is possible. There are a number of ways:

  • If your TV has a SCART connector, you need a cable adapter from DIN 6 to SCART, wired like this (the audio is taken from the audio out using a standard stereo 3.5'' jack):

(taken from CPCwiki)

enter image description here

  • If your TV does not have SCART, but composite video input, you must

    • Either use a RGB to CVBS adapter (using for example an AD724 chip), or

    • if you don't mind having a B&W signal, you can make an easier adapter by taking pin 6 (LUMA) to the CVBS input.

For the first solution, we did a small batch of a little PCB that holds an AD724 and associated components to get a cheap RGB to CVBS/S-Video adapter. This is the schematic:

enter image description here

And this is the board, almost finished:

enter image description here

  • If your TV has an HDMI input, then the solution is to wire a cable adapter as first explained, and then use a SCART-to-HDMI upscaler.

enter image description here

  • For a VGA monitor, use a RGB-to-VGA converter. They are very common and used in custom arcade cabinets.

enter image description here

I have one of these, and this is how my CPC6128 looks in a TFT monitor :) (it looks darker but that is because of the short exposure of my camera)

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .