Looking to get my Model M keyboard working on a modern setup, I believe I need an active converter to go from PS/2 to USB. What adapter / part would be compatible with this keyboard?

  • 3
    I think asking for a store is off-topic. If you ask for a part or adapter, that might be more on-topic here.
    – JAL
    Apr 7, 2017 at 16:46
  • I did say which adapter I'm looking for. I need am active PS2 to USB adapter. I just want to know if anyone knows where to get it...
    – Neb
    Apr 8, 2017 at 17:46
  • 1
    I believe this is off topic here. See Do we want questions asking for software or other resources? and Questions about spare parts and to a lesser extent Do we want list questions?, all on Retrocomputing Meta.
    – user
    Apr 8, 2017 at 21:42
  • 1
    @Neb That would be off-topic; this site mostly focuses on the actual computers. If the continents all moved around the contents of this website would remain completely usable (that is, if the servers survived the event!).
    – wizzwizz4
    Apr 9, 2017 at 20:26
  • 1
    When selecting a new, modern, desktop system for Linux, one of my requirements was a PS/2 port for my Model M. There are motherboards available that have these, and other legacy ports, if you are so inclined.
    – Brian H
    Apr 18, 2017 at 16:46

1 Answer 1


Are you just looking for a generic PS/2 to USB adapter?

Ziotek's SANOXY PS2 Keyboard To USB Adapter seems to have good reviews on Amazon and work well with older keyboards.

PS2 to USB

  • 1
    I use that exact one with a Model M. I think it's also the one advocated for and sold by clickykeyboards.com.
    – Tommy
    Apr 7, 2017 at 16:56
  • 3
    Does this support N-key rollover like a real PS/2 port does? Most of the (cheap) PS/2 -> USB adapters I've seen don't. And if this one doesn't, what advantage does it hold over its many cheaper competitors, like those you might find on Monoprice? Apr 8, 2017 at 9:40
  • 4
    @CodyGray Model M keyboards can be quite power hungry, and cheaper adapters don't always deliver enough power. Both by hearsay because my keyboard is a USB variant so I don't really face this problem directly.
    – user
    Apr 8, 2017 at 21:44
  • 1
    I think this will work, but this part on the canadian Amazon is $50, I was hoping to find it at a shop in the city? Thanks for the reply.
    – Neb
    Apr 9, 2017 at 15:38
  • 1
    It's probably a terrible test, but I have that adaptor connected to a Mac, and found that it was not achieving n-key rollover when tested via the keyboard viewer. Which keys it would simultaneously depict depended on their location and grouping — e.g. any continuous four starting from either the left or the right were no problem, but in the middle I seemed limited to two and it was fine with left, down and right cursors simultaneously but not with those three plus up — so I don't think I feel for any of the most obvious pitfalls in that test, but it leaves a bunch of unknowns.
    – Tommy
    Apr 9, 2017 at 20:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .