Browsing through retrocomputing resources, I recently stumbled upon this picture:

unknown Apple monitor

I'm familiar with quite a few Apple II monitors, but it's the first time I saw this one. There's an Apple logo, so it should be an official Apple monitor, but which one? Bonus points if some resource can be found such as a user's or service manual (I just fell in love with the monitor's design and I'm looking for a technical drawing, or its dimensions, so I can attempt to create a 3D model.)

EDIT: Found the Owner's Manual, following Jim Withrow's answer. I guess the Apple logo was added by the owner.

  • 2
    Yea, that monitor does have a 'retro-vibe' and pairs with the Apple ][+ nicely.
    – Geo...
    Jul 10, 2023 at 14:30
  • 1
    The apple logo doesn't look centred, unlike the light and controls below it. Seems very much like a sticker added by the owner. Jul 11, 2023 at 5:31
  • 1
    It is quite possible that the monitor is an official Apple product, despite being manufactured by someone else. It was not uncommon for companies to rebrand other companies products. The two companies would be referred to as the "Value Added Reseller" (VAR, = Apple) and the "Original Equipment Manufacturer" (OEM, = NEC). In this case, what Apple would be adding is A) the logo and B) packaging it with the computer.
    – David G.
    Jul 12, 2023 at 4:53

1 Answer 1


NEC Character Display, Model JB-1201M(A).

It’s a 12” monochrome green display, manufactured in Japan circa 1981. Approximate dimensions are 14” x 12” x 11 1/2”.

Further details found at:


  • 1
    Hi and welcome. As well as the link, it would be better to edit your answer and also include the details from the link (there aren't that many), in the case of link rot Jul 10, 2023 at 12:28
  • It cannot be a monochrome computer screen, as it shows not only green text there. Jul 11, 2023 at 4:08
  • 7
    @BsAxUbx5KoQDEpCAqSffwGy554PSah That'll be an artefact of the photography, as the Apple II isn't capable of displaying colour text in the way you're interpreting it. Jul 11, 2023 at 12:35
  • 3
    @AlexTaylor: More generally, it's very common for bright greens in photographs to become yellow or cyan, bright reds to become yellow or magenta, and for bright blues to become cyan or magenta. What happens is that a color which on a 0-255 scale would appear as e.g. (200,600,50) [i.e. with the green value being 3x the red value] if it wasn't clipped instead shows up as (200,255,50) [with green only slightly higher than red].
    – supercat
    Jul 12, 2023 at 15:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .