Altair BASIC, the first version of Microsoft BASIC, was developed using an Intel 8008 emulator, modified to emulate an Intel 8080, running on a PDP-10 computer. This emulator was originally designed by Paul Allen so that he and Bill Gates could create the software for Traf-O-Data.
- How was the original 8008 emulator developed?
- What documents were required?
- How did they ensure that it was a faithful emulation?
- How was this then modified for the 8080?
- What made it able to be modified so quickly?
- What documents were required to do so?
- What modifications to the emulator were made to fit specific behaviours of the Altair 8800?