Not that retro, but still over 20 years ago:
I'm looking for the name of a game that was around in 1995, 1996 (Windows 95 era, although I think it was a DOS game) which I played on my 120MHz Pentium (later overclocked to a whopping 133MHz, yay!).
Anyways, here are some details I remember:
- Basically a racing game with hovering vehicles
- The vehicles are armed and you could shoot down your opponents
- The tracks are of circular style in different terrains (I remember dirt tracks and snow tracks, but there were more)
- You get rescued by aircraft in case you are totaled (or if you run out of fuel if I remember correctly)
- Very nice graphics for the era (it was praised for raphics quality as well as overall gameplay)