When Tandy introduced the TRS-80, the computer we know now as the "Model 1" or Model I" was simply called the TRS-80. No "Model" designation was necessary. The early releases were as follows:
- TRS-80, August 1977
- TRS-80 Model II, October 1979 (expensive model for business market)
- TRS-80 Model III, July 1980 (home computer successor to original TRS-80
- TRS-80 Model 4, April 1983 (successor to the Model III)
One assumes the original computer was given and marketed with a distinguishing name once the Model II began to be marketed. Was it:
- TRS-80 Model I (Roman numeral to match the Model II)
- TRS-80 Model 1 (Arabic for simplicity, and make the Model II name seem "classy")
- Tandy never actually gave the original an official, distinguishing name.
I have searched, and have not been able to find an authoritative answer. Some sites use Arabic, some Roman numerals. If there was a distinguishing name given, would someone please post a picture of the box with that name, or perhaps an official Tandy advertisement using that name? (Without a picture, it didn't happen! 😉) A link would be useful as well.