For some time now I have been on a mission to get back into playing games on a Commodore 64. I have bought an original Commodore 64C. I got hold of a original 1541 disk drive. I also got hold of a tape datasette. I figured out how to get the image to a modern monitor with a VGA cable. It wasn't perfect, so I ended up buying a Commodore monitor. So I basically have everything working. I even got hold of some new (old stock) floppy disks and they work!
The next step in this journey is to try and get some games. I was hoping that there is a way to download images online and then transferring them to a floppy disk. I think I sort of have figured out a way to do this. I am pretty determined to get this to work, and I am willing to spend more $$ to get this working.
From a bit of research I am thinking about the following
1) Get older desktop with Windows 98 and parallel port and 3.5 inch floppy drive from Ebay.
2) Get an X1541 cable to connect 1541 disk drive to desktop.
3) Download Star Commander to modern desktop and transfer this to older desktop using USB key or using 3.5 inch floppy disk.
4) Download the Commodore 64 disk images (.d64?) from internet.
5) Use Star Commander then finally to transfer/burn images to 5.25 inch floppy disks.
I am not sure I completely understand every single step, so before I do all this, I want to make sure that I am at least on the right track and that there is a high chance of success. I would also welcome suggestions on how to do this easier. The end goal is really just to play C64 games on my original system without any SD card adapters ans such. I would also welcome any recommendations or things to watch out for with the above approach.