Skip to main content
Share Your Experience: Take the 2024 Developer Survey

Retro hardware generally: boards, extension cards, power supplies, peripherals. Use more specific tags as appropriate; use [case] instead for enclosures.

The term "hardware" encompasses components on circuit boards, physical input devices, power supplies, displays, and other devices that contain or are components that are capable of interfacing electronically with other components or devices. It does not include plastic cases, passive mechanical components (e.g. a laptop's hinge) or non-computing parts of a system (e.g. the glass pane of a CRT display), but it does include electronic systems that have mechanical parts (e.g. a floppy diskette reader).

This tag should be used for questions about hardware as defined in the previous paragraph. For enclosures and other cosmetic parts, use instead, perhaps together with .