Of course the unthinkable happened and I lost one cap key spring while cleaning the keyboard. I am still searching but assuming all things went south, what would be the best solution to replace them? Just another keyboard from ebay? Or are there "cheap" solutions?

Are they like similar to other keyboard types?

  • 1
    Weolcome to Retrocomputing! Did you mix up the digits in the heading?
    – tofro
    Commented Nov 21, 2020 at 21:57
  • 2
    If you're in the UK or willing to pay for postage from there then eBay offers a potential solution: ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad-CPC-464-Key-Spring-Set/… ; this is too ephemeral an answer to be an actual answer though. Hopefully somebody will know exactly which standard spring to buy?
    – Tommy
    Commented Nov 22, 2020 at 3:40
  • 1
    I actually found a guy in Romania on ebay I think, who also sells individual keys (3EUR per key + 3 EUR untracked delivery). Gave it a try with this. Didn't find anything where i just could find the springs
    – retronexus
    Commented Nov 22, 2020 at 14:45

1 Answer 1


In the worst of the cases, in which you had really lost it you could try the following options which do not require buying specialized springs:

  1. Scavenge springs from broken/unusable equipment. Pens can be a good source of them, especially when their ink has been depleted.
  2. Make your own. You only need some wire, basic tools and tenacity to make new springs suitable to your specific needs.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .