New answers tagged


In the U.S., 'English' is a term used in billiards and pool for side spin on the cue ball. In Britain, and Europe at least, 'side' or 'side spin' is the term used in snooker, pool and billiards.


Kind of an authoritative support for Dave's answer (*1) as this was a question I asked Mr. Baer on a visit in 2008. I haven't heard that term before either. But why call it "English"? As Dave said, it's a term taken from billiard and about giving it a 'spin'. The intention was to make the game more about skills. He assumed that a straight ...


"English" is a billiards term for spin. I assume that adjusting the ball position in the game gave some control over the trajectory of the ball, reminiscent of spin.

Top 50 recent answers are included